An attractive region
ORLeANS, AN ATTRACTIVE METROPOLITAN AREA
A REGION OF MULTIPLE ATTRACTIONS
Orleans and its region boasts a wide range of thriving economic activities, from computing, electronics and instrumentation to pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, transport, logistics and environmental.
These innovative sectors are further supported by the city’s top-level university courses and higher education programmes.
HIGH-PERFORMANCE ECONOMIC SECTORS
Many sectors are achieving excellent results in Orleans:
- 70% of all French pharmaceuticals are produced in Orleans;
- The logistics sector is represented by 406 specialised companies (including Deret, Norbert Dentressangle and Amazon) making Orleans the third-biggest logistics hub in France;
- La French Tech Loire Valley community: Lab’O, a 14,000 sq. m. platform unique in France, is one of the largest incubators at Industry LAB hosting some 30 start-ups;
- Innovation in services (Nekoé cluster).
Encompassing 9,400 industrial, commercial and service companies, Orleans ranks in the top 10 French metropolitan areas in terms of GDP.
Orleans's economic landscape is shaped by four internationally renowned competitiveness clusters:
- S2E2: electrical energy science and systems;
- Elastopôle: French rubber and polymers hub
- DREAM: focused on sustainability of regional water resources;
- Cosmetic Valley, of which Orleans is the capital.
Good economic performance and scientific research are closely correlated. Orleans has a pool of 90 public and private laboratories including BRGM (office of geological and mining research), IFEN (French institute for the environment), CNRS (national centre for scientific research), INRA (national institute for agronomic research), Servier, Novartis, Famar France and Pfizer.
A WELL-SERVED STUDENT POPULATION
The city’s university based in Orléans La Source is a leafy 180-hectare campus attended by 20,000 students. On the edge of the Sologne countryside, the institution provides an ideal setting for the growing French and international student body.
Four faculties, four technology institutes on several campuses, Polytech'Orléans, a teacher training college, ESAD school for the decorative arts, ESCEM business and management school... Orleans is the place to come and learn, whatever your field of study!
The University of Orleans ranks among the top 500 universities in the world according to the Shanghai Ranking.
A thriving student population
Three major grandes écoles (top-tier colleges) have recently chosen Orleans as their new home:
- ISC Paris Business School in 2019;
- ESTP Paris (civil engineering school) in 2020;
- AgroParisTech (institute for environmental and life sciences and industries) in 2020.
Orleans city centre is set to welcome an additional 6,000 students, bolstering Orleans’s position as a thriving university and student town.
You may also like
Orleans and its twin cities
Over the years, Orleans has twinned with 12 cities around the world!
The Loire Festival
All aboard for the largest river boat festival in Europe, hosted on the Loire in Orleans!
The towns of Orléans Métropole
A whistle-stop tour of the towns and villages of Orléans Métropole!