THE POST-WAR PERIOD
For its reconstruction, the city renewed with the 18th century.
Rue Royale, in ruins, was restored and the arcades were opened. Rue Jeanne d’Arc was extended to Place du Général-de-Gaulle, created for this occasion. The city centre street blocks that had been destroyed were rebuilt. In autumn 1944, the experimental project of street block 4, north-west of Place du Martroi, was given to the architect Pol Abraham. It was a trial for pre-fabricated and modular architecture to allow for rapid installation as well as cost and labour savings.
In the suburbs and the surrounding communes, industrial zones began to develop. In 1959, Orléans bought land around Château de La Source (eight kilometres south of the Loire) to create a new town and a university campus, carried out according to the plans of Olivier-Clément Cacoub. Urbanisation between the centre of Orléans and this new district gradually developed.
The installation of a north-south and then east-west tramway line contributes to the consistency and merger of urban territory and an extensive agglomeration. The restoration of the historic centre and the reintroduction of a marina on the Loire are the focal point of urban development. The city has been involved in recent years in a policy to promote its heritage.
Sources: Orléans Mairie – City of Art and History Department